Where I Shop

As a brass playing musician for the past 35 years, I have developed a pattern of where I get my gear, music and have my repair work done. I am not going to give out contact information because I don’t want these guys to get so busy that they cannot take care of me...selfish? Maybe. But...I found them and so can you.

Repair:

I can endorse three guys.
I am enthusiastic about the Brass Lab in NYC. Chuck McAlexander knows his stuff, perhaps more so than anyone I have encountered. The best slide I have ever had was aligned by Chuck. He also makes and sells the Buzzarella...similar to the old-style, metal B.E.R.P. which works better than the new plastic model.
I have also sent many slides (and many of my students have as well) to John Upchurch...the Slide Doctor.
Mark Sorlie in the Chicago area has also done terrific repair, both custom and slide work for me.

Music:

I have so much music that I rarely buy too much anymore. When I add the occasional new piece, it is usually through Hickeys, or the private published of the work. There have been times when I had to go around Hickey’s and straight to the publisher when Hickey’s took so long.
The price of music has sky-rocketed due to piracy (aka photocopying). It is a Catch-22. Years ago people started photocopying and the prices went up because publishers were selling fewer copies. When the prices rose, more people photocopied. Here is my plea...BUY ORIGINALS! If you buy a few pieces, etude books, scores a year, you will accumulate a nice collection over time. The only way to keep the price of music down is to buy originals.

Gear:

Oils and lubes I get from the terrific music store across the street from the IU School of Music called ProWinds. I alternate between Slide-O-Mix Rapid comfort and Trombotine, (quick aside...please learn the correct pronunciation of Trombotine...there is only one N in the word. I have heard many, many folks call it Trombone-teen). Sometimes I spray some non-aerosol Pledge on after the Trombotine. For tuning slides I use the Gary Greenhoe recommended stuff called Dow Corning High Vacuum Grease.

I have bought all sorts of stuff (cases mutes, horns) from Steve Ferguson at Hornguys in LA, Irvin Karan at SlideBone in NYC, Dillon Music in New Jersey. Sometimes I still get the occasional supply from Woodwind and Brasswind, although it is rare anymore.

Mouthpieces are only purchased from Greg Black...and some used GBs off of the OTJ ads.

By far the place that I spend the most money is Amazon. I spring for the Prime shipping (“free” two-day) every year. Nearly every recording I ever need is at my fingertips. Frequently I buy new and used and greatly discounted prices. Out os issue recordings can be found there too.

Lip care:


ChopSaver. There will be a sunblock version coming this spring.