Teachers


What should they do? What should they not do? Why are some great and others not? What makes a teacher truly special? Why do some students thrive with a teacher and others not?

These questions are what make life interesting.

Although I play many concerts a year with great orchestras, I am now primarily a teacher. I think it is very important for me to keep playing as long as anyone will have me. I get a great charge out of playing with some of the finest musicians in the world. I am truly fortunate to be able to do both. Playing with the CSO and NYP gives me rare, valuable insight into the world for which I am preparing my students.

When thinking about this entry, I paused to reflect on each teacher I have ever had…from kindergarten to present time. I have been fortunate to have had amazing teachers. All of my teachers believed in me and let me know it. I can remember each of my teachers’ names and am surprised when others cannot recall the names of all theirs. It could be evidence that I retain all sorts of bizarre information (often to the neglect of the pertinent), it could reflect how good the teachers were or, most probably, it represents the esteem in which I held my teachers. My dad was the band director at my school, so I had more involvement with my teachers…I also was expected to behave or news would travel quickly!

Here are the traits I appreciate in teachers:

•Interest, knowledge and demonstrated ability in their subject matter coupled with the ability to transfer their knowledge.
•Being highly demanding in a gentle, empathic way.
•Sense of humor
•Honesty and sincere care for the student
•Reliability
•Encouraging demeanor
•Versatile approach and flexibility of application

A great teacher is one that can inspire great things from their students using whatever means available and necessary. Not all students are studying the subject that they have the most aptitude for. One difficult task of a teacher is to communicate their assessment of the student’s ability to the student. There have been many examples of a teacher saying. “you will never make it” only to be proven wrong. As a teacher I will try to never speak in such definitives. Being honest can be a very difficult task. Since students and their families are paying such exorbitant prices for university/conservatory study, I believe that they should all be made aware of my opinion of their chances of success. If they don’t agree with me and want to switch to another teacher, I am all for it.

I always encourage my students to take lessons from other teachers. When I hear of other teachers getting upset with this practice, I wonder who the teacher is more concerned for…the student or their own ego.

The best situations are when there is a symbiotic relationship between teacher and student. The teacher motivates the student who in turn shows improvement which then inspires the teacher to motivate the student…etc.

NOTICE:
To Students, don’t waste the teacher’s time but not practicing.

NOTICE:
To Teachers, don’t waste the student’s time and money by not being involved.

We are all a unique mosaic of what we have chosen to accept and reject and not everyone will succeed. Success, however, has many “looks.” There are lots of ways to be successful. In my opinion, if happiness is achieved then success has been attained.

I am sad that teachers are not compensated better, but it is what it is. No musician or teacher enters the profession for monetary reasons. It is more a matter of being led to the profession. If you want to make a million, go into something else. If you want to influence and enrich lives, go for it.