Subbing with Big Orchestras


I am really fortunate. The two orchestras I play with most are the New York Philharmonic and the Chicago Symphony.

I suspect that there are those that wonder how one earns such opportunities.

Here is the magic formula:

Years and years of study, listening, practicing, adapting and being a good musical citizen.

I know how these players play because I have been studying their style for 25 years. These are the greatest brass players in the world and I have made it a life-long quest to sound like them. Countless hours of practice and study have gone into my success. I am fortunate. Lucky? No. Fortunate. My work has been recognized and has paid off.

There are lots of young hot-shot players around that never get the chances I get because they lack one of the above ingredients. Two years (or four) at a conservatory can help one become a highly proficient player but there is significantly more to it than that.

Being a good musical citizen may be the single most elusive ingredient. It is also the least addressed topic in school. It is easy to learn to play a great Bolero or Tuba mirum. Having a personality that gels well with others is not nearly as easy. Sections in any of the big orchestras are a delicate ecosystem and in order to function comfortably the newbie must be ultra-sensitive to the social dynamic.

Smile, remember you are a guest and play your butt off.