NYP and CSO Update


I am a very lucky guy. As I have written elsewhere on this site, I have also worked very hard and continue to work on my product. Success is the right combination of talent, hard work, perseverance, social awareness and LUCK…no single ingredient will suffice. Integrity is also a crucial ingredient.

Last season I worked 8 weeks in the New York Philharmonic and 2 weeks in the Chicago Symphony. Many people have asked me what it was like to play in those great trombone sections. People have also asked me to compare the adjustments I had to make in order to fit in with each section. It is always a great honor to play with these orchestras.

It is difficult for me to compare the two orchestras. These are the best trombone players in the world! It is like comparing a Lotus and a Lamborghini. They have very obvious things in common such as great intonation, rhythmic precision and blend. My job, as a guest, is always to fit in as well as I can. In order to fit I listen very, very carefully. I listen to them warming up, I listen to them tune and once the music begins, I listen even more intently and tack my sound to theirs. There were several times, when substituting as Associate Principal in the Philharmonic that I would play principal on piano concertos. When playing principal I had to lead, be absolutely sure of myself yet still blend with those around me. My job was to become one of them.

Although the sections play quite differently, all I really wish to share is that I came away with even more respect for every one of those trombone players. There is a reason that they are where they are—it is because they are the best at what they do. They all had practiced thousands of hours before they won their jobs and now they continue to practice, perhaps even harder. It is inspirational.